Sunday, October 26, 2008

MUSIC

There's this debate I had with a friend a few years back in Cochin- and it was about which was the greatest song (pop) ever written. The two choices were Bob Dylan's 'Blowing in the wind',my friend's choice and John Lennon's "Imagine", mine. So, after innumerable arguments, we decided to take a poll among music buffsin Kochin. This was during my DJ ing days, and when I was running my music shop there, so it was'nt a problem to find music fans.The poll results came to about 20 each or so, when I decided enough is enough - and cheated. We had this housemate who had a lot of friends thru her boyfriend and they frequented my parites as well. So, it was inevitable that they would be polled soon. And I asked her to spread the word among her clique that should this question come to them , which song to pick. Sure enough, 'Imagine' soon ran away with the "Best song ever written" polls, leaving my friend frustrated with the lack of intellect among Cochin's music buffs. And I was like, who needs intellect and a nasal voice in a song anyway. I did eventually admit to him about the set-up and he was furious.
It was all good fun.
But, which is the better song, anyway?
6/12/09
3 musicians, all of whom could sing, 2 guitars, a whole lot of beer, lots of encouragement from the other non musician guests and a couple of my mates, who happened to be there made yesterday one terrific jam session of music and partying. Paul -Canadian/British, a French lady - Carat and her sound engineer husband and my man Stephan who was Italian. We sang, played guitar, drank beer and had some good healthy fun well into the night. It was great, almost like my DJ days in Kochin.

No comments: